Friday, August 25, 2006

Lightning Over The City

Most nights after work I take my dog outside so she can poop and sniff around. Normally, I will play games on my phone, or watch the dog, or lay in the grass and look up at the sky, usually very benign activities. Tonight to the north of where I live, the sky was pregnant with storm clouds. The ambient light of the city gave the bottoms of the clouds an orange glow which was interrupted every few seconds with the flashbulb pops of lightning.

The flashes and the storm were far enough away that no thunder was audible. The clouds would sporadically illuminate from their insides. I sat cross-legged on the ground watching the storm blow above downtown. Details of the clouds' edges would outline in brilliance.

A soft, cool breeze blew. The storm stretched from one end of the valley to the other. At times there would be 5 or 6 strikes in just a couple of seconds. I counted once for a full 60 seconds and saw 27 bolts.


I sat and watched this light show for more than a half an hour. Finally, the clouds made their way to my part of town and blocked out the stars above me. Big, fat raindrops fell out of the sky and I took refuge inside.

Then it got late and I went to bed to sounds of late summer rainstorm ouside.

2 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Those are some great shots. About the only thing I enjoy about Oklahoma is the cool storms. The tornado warnings aren't all that fun, but beside that the storms are great.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Bored Housewife said...

Oh, my heart!! Those shots are incredible. I am so glad that you were able to capture them...I love the lightening storms here so much and I have yet to get a decent picture. Absolutely beautiful.

Did you see the rainbow last night?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home