Monday, April 24, 2006

Happy Nika's Baby's Birthday
























April Twenty-Fourth

About nine months ago a friend and co-worker got married. A few weeks after that word started to get around that Nika was pregnant.

"Hey Nika - Did you get pregnant on your honeymoon?"

I get an unamused response, "Yeahh."

"That's not a totally bad thing. I know some really great people who were conceived on their parent's honeymoon."

"Like who?"

"Like Me!!"

"Who else?"

".............ummm I think that's it."

Still unamused: "So I have you to look forward to?"

-------------------------------------------------------

Several weeks later we find out her due date is Friday, April 28. Nika is worried because all of her sisters were born 2 weeks late. That means she may be carrying the baby until mid-May.

"Hey Nika - I'm voting for you to squirt that thing out on April 24th."

I get an unamused response: "Why?"

"Because I was born on April 24th! Great people are born on April 24th. Let's see. There is...me. There's ... ummm... Shirley MacLaine ... Barbra Streisand ...... and my brother-in-law. Oh yeah, and I have an ex-girlfriend who's neice was born on that day, too."

"Great."

-------------------------------------------------------

We repeated this conversation several times over the next several months. Almost to the point where my self-aggrandizing humor was bordering on becoming a bit on the obnoxious side.

Saturday night as I leave work I holler over to where a very pregnant and tired Nika is sitting, "Bye Nika. Don't forget to have your baby on Monday."

"Shut up, Mark."

-------------------------------------------------------

Sunday afternoon rolls around and our desk manager shows up instead of Nika. Panic sets in. Thers's no way she had her baby a day early. She did this just to spite me! Oooh I'm gonna let her have it whe she gets back from maternity leave!!

"Todd, what's going on with Nika?"

"Well her water broke but there aren't any contractions yet."

I look at my watch. It is 2:01 PM.

There's still a chance. YES!!

C'mon Nika you can hold on for another 10 hours. No problem.

Fast forward 14 hours and Nika gives birth to an adorable little girl named Ayda.

Thanks for waiting, Nika. I appreciate all you did for me. ; )

Welcome to the world, Ayda. You are destined for greatness.

2 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Oh, Miss! said...

Cuuuuuuuuuuuute Baby! Just wanna go and give her a hug or something........

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Bored Housewife said...

That is a great story. I am shaking my head in amused delight. Hopefully her mirth will return, after this birth (sorry, couldn't resist the rhyme...) and she will thank you for being the cause of her early delivery--especially if she was counting on the extra 2 weeks! She should have named the baby Markette or something, at least.



Oh, and Happy Birthday to YOU. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home