Monday, May 01, 2006

Little Black III - The Final Chapter

Well I finally made it to the top of Little Black Mountain in the foothills just to the north of Salt Lake City. Actually, I didn't make it all the way to the peak. The last 50 yards or so have a couple of dropoffs of about 10 feet and I'm not experienced enough to downclimb these with sheer cliffs on either side. So I didn't really bag the peak (even though my wife says that it counts because we were "close enough").


It took us about 6 hours round trip. I decided to include some pictures of the little things that make the outdoors so enjoyable - no grand vistas - no pics of us and the dogs: I've already put those on the other posts for this hike. Early spring brings out the colors, the smells and the animals that we haven't seen in months. It's refreshing.

We did see a coyote from about 250 yards away. Luckily the dogs didn't see it or we may have witnessed them getting their asses kicked by a scrawny and scraggly dog. There were lots and lots of horny toads sunning themselves on the trail. They would scurry off as we approached and none of them were very big. I spotted what I thought was a fossil on the edge of a rock. It looks like it might be some kind of nautiloid thing - or a hummingbird.


2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Bored Housewife said...

Ooh...beautiful! I love the fuzzy pink flower thing (yes, that's a technical term) and the toad. Frogs and turtles are my favorite creatures of all the non-humans.

And congrats on making your goal!! Awesome.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

My kids keep bringing horny toads in the house. The cat won't eat them. The cat will eat lizards however, and I've found lizard bits on my porch on many occasions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home