Monday, October 16, 2006

I Wanted To Sell My Photos!

As I was watching all those people line up to buy grilled chicken, I thought to myself, "Gee, I think I'll get some pictures of this and maybe sell it to a newspaper or something."

It had kind of a human interest element to it. People were hungry, they couldn't cook and they couldn't go to restaurants. Grocery stores were closed so buying non-perishables there was out of the question. Some guy with a gas grill was obviously going to have a great day at work and make a ton of money because of that.

I grabbed my point and shoot digital camera (which actually takes pretty good pictures) and wandered over.

I snapped a couple photos of the grill. Got a picture of some lady making a purchase. And took some pictures of people standing in line. This is one of the pictures I take:

I've got some decent stuff. I start to look at the scene a little more creatively and I spot some guy pulling his professional camera gear out of a bag. I watch him walk over and start taking his own pictures.

I recognize his style and attitude as a professional news photographer. Damn! Why'd he show up?

I figured he worked for the local newspaper. So much for me selling my photos. I walked away. As we drove off a few minutes later, I looked over and he was getting some high angle shots of the line...Yep, he works for someone. Too bad for me.

So imagine my surprise when the picture that the Associated Press picks up is this:

Well, crap! Mine is identical! Granted his gear was a lot better than mine. But after being compressed and sent out, the quality will be just about the same.

Next time I'm on vacation and national news happens, I want all AP photographers to stay away from me. OK?

I did an internet search on the photographer - his name is Joe Kaczmarek - and he is a talented NPPA photographer who lives in Philadelphia. He must be on vacation here just as I am. I guess I'll start travelling with my video camera so I can write off my trips just like he's going to now.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home