Sunday, April 01, 2007

Why I Go To Starbucks

I try to support local businesses when I can. You know, the whole keep the money in our own local economy rather than send it to some corporate headquarters somewhere.

That's why I started to go to a quaint little coffee shop just down the street from my house. They roast their own beans. They have tasty and bold blends every day. And it's a comfortable setting.

So far, so good.

Now like most people in these modern times, I pay just about everything with a credit card. Apparently the problem is that when I pay for a two-dollar large coffee with a card, it makes the owners of this establishment unhappy. I first noticed it with the lady at the register. I handed over the plastic and she gave my card a look of disbelief and uttered a whispery "ahhh." I ignored her and finished my transaction and enjoyed my coffee.

So next time I gravitated to the man behind the counter. Ordered my coffee and handed him payment. This guy likes to look at the card, pause, and give a brief look at me that suggests a subtle "oh, come on."

I ignored him just like I did the lady but I started noticing a pattern. Everytime I paid with credit, I got some sort of look. Last I heard, I think that credit card fees are about 2%. So on a two-dollar purchase, the company might give up 4 cents. I know this adds up, but on each transaction, the amount is negligible.

The problem for them now is that they don't get my business from here on out. So instead of getting $1.96 profit several times a week, they get nothing. And the other problem for them is there is a new Starbucks about a mile up the road and they greet me with a smile and seem very happy to let me pay with a credit card.

So I tried. But good customer service goes a long way. Don't give me dirty look for paying for goods and services with a credit card. I know technology is a bitch. Sorry.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Bored Housewife said...

That is pretty damn ridiculous. I have pretty much forgotten what cash actually looks like. Who needs the hassle???

apparently, those guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home